Tuesday 16 March 2010

A helping hand...

Many, many years ago (before I had children), I managed to pick up about 6 yds of Union Flag fabric.  Last year I met Sue Atkinson, at a Regional day for the Quilters Guild.  She was telling people about a recent visit she made to Headley Court, the Rehabilitiation Centre for the British Military.  She had taken quilts down for the soldiers, which had been well received.  Some of you may not know, I recently served in the Royal Air Force for over 21 years.  I've been to Headley Court, I've been through their rehabilitation programme for backs.  I understand first hand some of what these guys are going through. 

After hearing a plea for more quilts for our injured troop returning from Afghanistan, not only did I feel compelled to my little bit, I finally knew what to to do with the Union Flag fabric.  I challenged my quilt group to make a quilt to go to Headley Court using the fabric.  They were all given a piece about half a meter.

I was thrilled to be able to hand over the first four quilts below, made by Jean, Jean, Maureen and Wendy.  I have yet to make my own.  I have quilted a top that will go, I'm currently sewing on binding. 


Didn't they do well!  Not the easiest fabric to play with.  And  a big thank you to Tina who willingly held up the quilts so I could get a quick pic before the quilts went on their merry way with Sue.


7 comments:

Jessica said...

Beautiful quilts and a wonderful result!

Unknown said...

This is brilliant, do you have some more information? I would love in the long run to do something like this. I take it the quilts could have any theme...

Congratulations to all the people who have made one, you are a hero for helping our heros!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

You can hear me applaud you all, from across the pond... well done!

Lis Harwood said...

Do you know I don't actually like Union Jack fabric in general and especially all those cushions that are around at the mo but I love how it's been used in these quilts, and well done for all the help for our soldiers.

QuiltSue said...

What a brilliant thing to be doing. Well done you and well done to your group.

Kim Brackett said...

They're all beautiful and I'm sure will be much appreciated. What a great thing to do!

Carol said...

What a wonderful project. Congratulations to everyone for doing well with the "challenge" fabric :)